Friday, October 22, 2010

Romanticizing Decisions

I woke up this morning to find frost covering my car and myself in desperate need of some warm socks and a long sleeved tee shirt. I am still anxiously awaiting the day that it stays chilly long enough to rationalize my spending $5 on a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. There is something strangely comforting about those overpriced coffee drinks that signifies fall to me in the same way as the falling leaves and frosty mornings.

I’ve been to the beach twice this week – so I suppose my Latte can wait for a few more weeks while I enjoy the sun and the ocean instead of the cold chill that tells of a winter not far behind.

I miss fall for reasons that have very little to do with the weather. I miss football games for reasons that have very little to do with what happens on the field. And I miss college for every reason that has absolutely nothing to do with going to class.

Why didn’t they tell us responsibility was so dull?

And at the same time I can distinctly recall being sick and tired of my own apathy. There are so many things going on in the world that are calling for our attention. And the time has finally come to take responsibility for myself and give the time and attention to those matters, people and events that I’ve been placing on the back burner for so long.

Why didn’t they tell us responsibility was so exhausting?

I keep trying to remember the decisions that led me here. Every single decision now seems blurred with the warm and soft memories of a place left behind. It's difficult to sit and remember the past without focusing on the things and people you miss most. It's almost equally as difficult to look into the future without being overwhelmed by the possibilities of all you can do. I feel as if life is already slipping by and I haven't even started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment