Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Post from the Past - August 28, 2010

Driving through Bloomington at 6 a.m. – Trellis plopped down next to me as we head west toward I-65 S, I haven’t quite realized that I won’t be coming back soon. I’ve always left. Always been interested in new places – new people. But at the same time, its as if my heart breaks everytime I pull up those roots and move again. Getting now almost to a point where I’m hesitant to let those roots get too deep for fear of the pain once I rip them up again. Because I always will – no matter how happy I am – no matter how content my life feels. The allure of the unknown – the excitement of the unexplored, it will always pull me away again.

-----------------------------------

Sitting at a Denny’s in Louisville, KY – I’m greeted by the hostess with a “Hi Baby,” as if I’ve been coming in everyday since the moment I was born. People here are kind and warm and life moves just a little bit slower.

“You need anything baby doll?” Another asks.

“No thanks,” I reply. “I’m waiting on someone.”

It’s funny the way the culture changes in just a few hours. I don’t think people appreciate it here the way they do in places like Europe. You drive from Southern Germany to Northern France and you anticipate the culture change. But distance-wise it’s the same trip between countries as it is between states here.

No comments:

Post a Comment