Thursday, October 21, 2010

Smoking Palmetto Trees

Sept. 17, 2010

Sitting in a coffee shop in downtown Charleston. Rich bitter warm smells permeate the air - the ash tray at my table contains two cigerette butts - leaving me with the impression that if I wanted to light up I could. And although I don't want to, the knowledge that I can is strangely comforting. It's September and the coolest day I've had so far in Charleston. I suspect it is a fluke - but I'll take it for what it is and enjoy the perfect day and cool breeze in my favorite white pillow skirt and a blue razorback tank top.

There are palmetto trees on this back patio - as well as ivy covered walls and a quiet fountain.

I think I've found my own heaven and Charleston and it's only a few blocks from my new house. I love it here. nick and I are getting along and the people are wonderful. Jobs are scarce but where aren't they these days. At 23 I don't think I'll have much trouble getting by for now.

A man is smoking outside the gate. Perhaps I was wrong and you can't smoke in here. But the guilty cigerette butts at my table signal that perhaps he is just trying to be polite since no one here is smoking now. This is the South after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment