Monday, December 6, 2010

November in the North Pole - frigid tempertures of low 40s hit Charleston, SC


It's finally cold in Charleston. Apparently snow has swept in from Minnesota and the chill is passing through the south. I blame Tara. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a little snow. Actually...when I think about it, snow is the last thing I need. It will simply taunt me with the reality that I live in a flat tropical paradise where people ride on waves and not mountains. Snow completely contradicts the whole principal of moving here and does nothing but make me miss home.

I want to learn to surf. May as well join in with the locals. Although I suppose now is not the best time of year, not to mention the fact that I barely have time to sleep not to mention surf.

I'm anxious for the holidays to be over. Holidays are stressful in normal situations, living 14 hours away only makes them more so. I don't even have a single Christmas decoration up in my house. It's sad. I was thinking the other day of the house at 517 E. University and the Christmas Tree we had there. We decorated it with tinsle, christmas lights and a lot of glitter. The glitter wasn't the best idea, it didn't do much for the tree and our house retained remants of it well past the holiday.

I remember coming home from an interview in Chicago and everyone was getting ready for our Christmas party. I think that was the year we said BYOB and the table we put out for alcohol collapsed under the weight of everyone's contributions. I believe there were pretzels and snowflake shaped Little Debby's as well. I doubt many people paid attention to the food. At some point a St. Bernard joined in with that party. Anna locked herself in her room and Trellis deleted all the pictures from everyone's camera. We had at least 6 couches in that house and we'd pushed them all up against the walls - where some of them remained until the end of the year. By the morning I was sleeping in the living room snuggled up next to Tara who's feet were freezing like a vampire.

I think that whole night was thanks to Amber and Jesse coming home one day with a Christmas Tree that nobody wanted and then everyone loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment