Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fleas and Hurricanes

Fuel last night for chicken nachos and plantain fritters. Never an experience you'll regret.

There is a Hurricane coming and it marks my first ever tropical storm experience! I think the brunt of it will miss Charleston. But we should have some pretty heavy rain. For anyone who loves a good thunderstorm the way that I do – you haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen a southern storm. And I get the feeling that I haven’t seen anything until I see wind and rain direct from a Hurricane that is just off the coast.

The whole Hurricane thing is very difficult to wrap my head around given my Midwestern upbringing. I am not accustomed to the civilized conversation regarding where we will go if we have to evacuate, or asking what supplies I have purchased in preparation for the storm. Preparation? In the Midwest if we see a storm coming we say “OH SHIT!” then duck and cover. The most preparation we have is practicing hiding under our desks in middle school. I was in a panic at first because I don’t have a basement to hide in. I was then gently reminded that no one here has a basement. And if they did they had better be wearing swim suits because it is going to flood. I guess that makes sense. Not much use for a basement when your house is sitting on land that is below sea level. Nick is having as equally difficult a time wrapping his mind around the idea of storm preparation. At least I have someone to be confused with. Although I think he is starting to get nervous because it started to rain last night and he leapt up and said “Oh God! Is my car going to float away!” …no that is just rain – hurricane won’t be here until Friday night. So weird, like it’s a visitor that the entire city is anxiously awaiting.

As far as I can tell, the real problem with a hurricane in Charleston is not total annihilation so much as major inconvenience. I guess the power goes out during these things and stays out for several weeks at times. I haven’t really prepared for that…I filled up a few water jugs, but beyond that I think my plan is going to be to drink up the beer in my fridge before it gets warm and eat lots of cold spaghettios.

No comments:

Post a Comment